Objective of Zingo! Sight Words
The objective of Zingo! Sight Words is to be the first player to cover all of your spaces with a word tile.
- Remove the top from the Zingo! Zinger.
- Take the 72 tiles and mix them up. Load the tiles back into the Zinger in two equal sized stacks. Place the top back onto the Zingo! Zinger.
- Place the Zingo! Zinger in the middle of the table where all of the players can clearly see it.
- Each player takes one of the cards. The cards are double sided. The players choose which side of the cards they are going to use. All of the players should use the same side of the cards.
- The green side is less competitive since the boards share less words with the other boards.
- The red side is more competitive as more words on each card are shared with other cards.
- Choose whether one player will act as the Dealer or if the players will take turns. If the players decide to take turns as the Dealer, you will pass the Zingo! Zinger between players after each turn.
Playing Zingo! Sight Words
To start each turn the Dealer reveals two new tiles. To reveal the tiles you will first push the top of the Zingo! Zinger forward. Then push the top back to reveal the two tiles for the current turn.
All of the players will then look at the two words that were revealed. They are trying to find a word that matches one of the words on their board that has not been covered yet.
When you see a tile that matches an uncovered word on your board, call out the word as quickly as possible. You will then take the tile and place it on top of the corresponding spot on your board. If two or more players call out the same word at the same time, neither player gets to take the tile.
Should a player call for a tile that they don’t need, the tile remains in the Zingo! Zinger. If another player calls for the tile, they will get to take it.
Any tiles not claimed by a player are inserted into the slots at the top of the device. This is the end of the current turn. If the players chose to take turns as the Dealer, the Zingo! Zinger is passed to the next player.
Winning Zingo! Sight Words
When you cover all nine spaces on your board, you will shout out “Zingo!”. The first player to cover up all of the spaces on their board, wins the game. The winner of the game starts the next game as the Dealer.
Mini-Zingo! Sight Words
In this variant game you don’t need to cover all nine spaces on your board in order to win. Instead you need to cover three spaces in a row vertically, horizontally, or diagonally. The first player to cover three spaces in a row wins the game.
Zany Zingo! Sight Words
Choose a pattern that each player tries to complete. The first player to complete the pattern by covering spaces wins the game. Some example patterns are as follows:
Multi-Card Zingo! Sight Words
In this variant game each player takes two or more cards. Play one card on the green side and one on the red side. The first player to completely fill one of their cards wins the game.
Year: 2012 | Publisher: ThinkFun | Designer: Theora Design
Genres: Children’s, Education, Word
Ages: 4+ | Number of Players: 2-6 | Length of Game: 10-20 minutes
Difficulty: Light | Strategy: Light | Luck: Moderate
Components: 72 Sight Word Tiles, 6 Boards, Zingo! Zinger, Instructions
For more board and card game how to plays/rules and reviews, check out our complete alphabetical list of board game posts.