Objective of Stranger Things Eggo Card Game
The objective of Stranger Things Eggo Card Game is to play all of the cards from your hand and have your character on the Right Side Up before the Demogorgon attacks.
Setup for Stranger Things Eggo Card Game
- Separate the character cards from the rest of the cards.
- Each player chooses a character card and turns it so the Upside Down side is visible. While you can choose Barb, Barb can never escape and thus you can never win if you choose her character card. The card is basically included as a joke/reference to the show.
- Any character cards not chosen are set aside as they won’t be used in the game.
- Separate the Demogorgon cards from the rest of the cards.
- Shuffle the remaining cards. Take the top card from the deck and place it face up in front of the toaster. If the chosen card doesn’t have a character pictured on it, return it to the deck and draw another one until you get a card with a character on it. This card starts the discard pile.
- Deal four cards face down to each player. You can look at your own cards, but you shouldn’t show them to the other players.
- Add the four Demogorgon cards back into the deck. You should evenly spread them through the deck. Shuffle all of the cards again to mix them up.
- Split the deck in half and place half of the cards into each side of the toaster holder. The cards should face away from the players. These two piles are the draw piles.
- The player born the furthest away from 1983 starts the game. Play moves left to start the game.
Playing Stranger Things Eggo Card Game
To begin your turn you will look at the top card on the discard pile. You will try to play one of the cards from your hand to the discard pile. You can play a card if it matches the top card on the discard pile in one of two ways.
If you have a card that you can play on your turn, you must play it.
In addition to character cards, there are a number of special cards in the game. If you play one of these special cards, you will take a special action. See the corresponding section below for more details.
Should you not have any cards in your hand that you can play, choose one of the two toaster piles. Take the top card from the pile and add it to your hand. If you can play this new card, you will play it immediately.
Should you not be able to play this new card, choose one of the toaster piles again. Take the top card from the pile and add it to your hand. If you can play this new card, you will play it immediately.
Your turn ends when you either play a card, or you draw two cards and can’t play either of them. Play then passes to the next player in turn order.
Stranger Things Eggo Card Game Card Meanings
All Players Rift
When you play an All Players Rift card it will affect all of the players’ character cards. Each player flips their character card to the opposite side. If your character card is on the Right Side Up side, it will be flipped to the Upside Down side. If it was on the Upside Down side, you will turn it to the Right Side Up side.
The card is wild so it can be played on top of any other card. If you have no other cards to play on your turn, you have to play the All Players Rift card even if it hurts you. After you play the card you will choose the color for the discard pile. The next player has to play a card that matches the color you chose.
If you draw a Demogorgon card you will place it face up next to the toaster. You will not add it to your hand, and this doesn’t count as playing a card on your turn. If it was the first card you drew on your turn, draw your second card. If it was your second card, your turn ends and you don’t have to play a card.
The Demogorgon cards are unique because they trigger the end game. When all four Demogorgon cards are revealed, the game ends. See the How to Survive section below for more details.
When you play a Draw Two card, the next player in turn order has to draw two cards and add them to their hand. They will choose one of the two toaster piles and draw the top two cards from that pile. They will then take their turn normally.
You can only play a Draw Two card if it matches the color of the top card on the discard pile.
The Portal card is used to flip over a player’s character card. When you play a Portal card, you will flip your character card to the other side. If your character card was Right Side Up, you will flip it to the Upside Down side. If it was on the Upside Down side, you will flip it to the Right Side Up side.
The Portal card is wild so you can play it on top of any other card. When you play the Portal card you will choose the color for the discard pile. The next player has to play a card that matches the color you choose.
When you play a Reverse card the direction of player reverses. If play was moving clockwise (left), it will move counter-clockwise (right). If play was moving counter-clockwise, it will now move clockwise.
You can only play a Reverse card if it matches the color of the top card on the discard pile.
End of Game
The game ends when the fourth Demogorgon card is revealed. At this time all of the players will see if they survived.
In order to survive you need to meet two requirements.
- First you need to play all of the cards from your hand.
- Second you need to have your character card on the Right Side Up side.
If you meet both of these requirements at the same time, you have escaped and won. You will watch the rest of the players to see if they also win. Multiple players can win the game.
Should you play all of the cards from your hand but you are still in the Upside Down, you must continue playing the game. This includes situations where the last card you play turns your character card to the Upside Down side. Since you are in the Upside Down, you will draw cards at the start of your turn. This continues until you turn your character card to the Right Side Up and you play the last card from your hand.
Once the fourth Demogorgon card is drawn, any player that hasn’t escaped yet is trapped in the Upside Down. All of these players lose the game.
Stranger Things Eggo Card Game FAQs
If you have any questions about how to play Stranger Things Eggo Card Game, leave a comment below on this post. I will try to answer any questions asked as best and as quickly as possible.
- 106 Eggo Cards
- 72 Color Cards (18 of each color)
- 6 All-Players Rift Cards
- 4 Demogorgon Cards
- 8 Draw Two Cards (2 of each color)
- 8 Portal Cards
- 8 Reverse Cards (2 of each color)
- 7 Character Cards
Year: 2017 | Publisher: Hasbro
Genres: Card, Family, Party, Take That
Ages: 14+ | Number of Players: 2-6 | Length of Game: 20-30 minutes
Difficulty: Light | Strategy: Light | Luck: High
For more board and card game how to plays/rules and reviews, check out our complete alphabetical list of board game posts.